Monday 13 August 2012

Pleasantly Surprised

The British can have a tendency to be a bit cynical about large events, and have in the past made some half arsed attempts at things, with the end result being rather naff.

With the Olympics, I fully expected the same kind of half arsed performance and finding myself slightly embarrassed when we failed to step up to the mark.  However, for the past two weeks, I have been pleasantly surprised at the incredible show that we've put on.  From the typically British opening ceremony, to the fantastic venues, the organisation, the enthusiastic Games Makers (volunteers), to the closing ceremony, it has shown that when we make a bit of an effort, we can be up there with the best in the world.

I've also been blown away by the Herculean efforts of all of the athletes.  There are some awesome role models among them, that have achieved their status by hard graft.  It's so refreshing to have real hero's rather than the recent idiots we seem to get who are famous for being famous.

I'm very proud to be British :o)

2 comments:

  1. That's great to hear! I love the Olympics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for British tennis! I feel a British Wimbledon champion a comin'!

    ReplyDelete