Friday 22 March 2013

Exciting Times

So, I’ve been working on two projects simultaneously for the last couple of months.  Firstly, I’ve been doing the final final edits on my MS.  I wasn’t going to do another round of edits, but I discovered a few flaws just before I sent the first three chapters out to a few carefully selected agents.  After making the first three chapters even more sparkly, I have been slowly going through the rest of the MS, just in case I get a request for the rest of the book. 

In between doing these remaining edits, I’ve been working on the first draft of the new book. 

When I originally came up with the idea and mapped it out, I was really excited.  But, when it came to writing the story out in full, I seem to have struggled in the excitement department.  All sorts of doubts have nagged away at me, and I started to wonder whether the story should be allowed to see the light of day, or whether it would be better for it to stay trapped inside my head, free from the harsh glare of potential readers.

That was up until yesterday.

Ysterday, I finally completed round 10 of edits, and I know that without the help of an editor, I cannot make it any better than it now is.  I have finally laid the story to rest.  Having reached this conclusion, I picked up the new WIP and started to write the next bit.  And then I realised, I LOVE THIS STORY!  Having finally stepped away from the two years of being immersed in the finished book, I can now let the new one take centre stage. 

The problem was that I knew the old book inside out.  I knew how every character felt, how they talked, moved, racted, and generally lived.  The new book and characters are only just starting out.  Although I know what happens in the grand scheme of things, I haven’t been through the experience with them yet.  How could they compete with the old ones?

With the added bonus of getting my old writing routine back on track, I’m really looking forward to the new journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment