Wednesday 28 September 2011

Reality gets in the way of a good story.

I’m going to have to re-think the plot for my sequel to the YA book that I finished the first draft of this week.
The plot was, that the secret organisation planning to cause world chaos were going to be able to take control of satellites, and bring them out of orbit, with the intention of trying to hit major cities around the globe. Obviously, the heroes were going to track them and stop them at the last minute.
The problem I have is, that the idea of a couple of near misses as a huge chunk of space debris ploughs into the landscape, leaving a massive crater, and scaring the local governments, has been kicked into touch by real life.
A satellite fell to earth over the weekend. Even if it had landed on dry land, it wouldn’t have caused the devastation that I had imagined. It’s not something that would bring terror to nations.
Looks like the bad guys will have to go back to the drawing board. I’m sure they will come up with a new dastardly plan, and give me a nudge when they do.

6 comments:

  1. That is so funny! Nothing like reality to kick you in the teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie - I'd had this idea for about three months. I guess that, on the plus side, I hadn't started writng the book.
    It seems that my bad guys havd already floated an idea to me. It's early days, but it's looking positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate it when reality screws with a good idea? What if a space station fell to earth, would it cause more damage than a satellite? Just trying to help you out here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. E.R. - What a great thought. Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer! I hate it when that happens. *frown*
    There are always dastardly ideas out there tho - you'll come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melody - You can stop frowning now.
    Looks like the bad guys are already formulating a plan. They've only told me the end goal at the moment. I just have to wait until they tell me how they plan to do it, and what the trail leading up to it will be.
    In the mean time, I'll get on with some of the other stories that are calling me :o)

    ReplyDelete