Thursday 25 August 2011

A chance encounter that changed everything.

I had thought that my writing was of a publishable quality, and that from this point forward it would be luck that would get me an agent. You know the saying, right place at the right time.
This was before I met Jane. I only had the one conversation, but it opened up a whole new world for me, and now I know that there is a lot of work to be done before I stand a chance of getting that illusive book deal.
I had done my usual lunch time escape from the office to get some fresh air, and was sitting on a bench in a quiet out of the way area when I looked at the woman sitting next to me. She had a pile of printed pages, and was scribbling out bits and writing in the gaps between the lines. Having done this myself, it was obvious that she was editing a manuscript.
I passed a comment that I’d been there as well, editing manuscripts, and this led to a brief chat about writing, and getting published. It turned out that she has had two books published, and recommended an agency called Spread the Word who had helped her with her work.
It was this ten minute chat that that set the wheels in motion and has changed the way I write and edit my books. It also showed me just how far I still have to go before my work is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment