Monday 12 December 2011

Probably more stupid than I look.

 Last week, I nearly threw the towel in on this whole writing lark.  It's not that I'm disillusioned, or  struggling for ideas.  I'm feeling quite the opposite.  The problem was that I didn't think that I had enough talent.
The thing that set the train of though into motion was that I'd picked up my MS and started to read through it.  It's been through some serious revisions, and I felt that it should be at the stage where I'm going to need to look at the flow, and characters, more than whether the narrative was active or passive.  BUT, I started to read the first chapter, and there was shedloads wrong with it.  How could I have missed all of this?  If this was the results of two carefully thought out edits, then it was going to take about a hundred attempts to make it barely readable.  What was the point of having half a dozen well formed stories floating around my head if I could never do them justice when I committed them to paper?
Of course, the packing it in thought was fleeting.  I don't really have a choice on whether I write.  It's either do it, or my head will explode.  And I'm sure I'd have to clear up the mess after :o|
That was last week.  Today is a new week, and it dawned on me that in my last two rounds of revisions, I've cut out the start of the story, and made it begin later into the adventure.  I've had to write the start of the first chapter from scratch, and reason it reads like it's not been edited, is because it hasn't!!  The first page is currently a mass of editing scribbles (again), but I have found that by the time I've reached the end of the chapter today, there's just the odd tweak.  It looks like I'm not quite as bad as I feared, but I quite sure that I'm a bit more stupid than I look. :o)

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you realized you are great. Just from the lines we get in Revimo e-mails I can tell your story is SUPER interesting and you are a great writer. I've had days like you did too. I've also heard that the first chapter is one of the hardest to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You're not stupid - it's called "writers brain!" (At least that's what I call it.)

    I'm glad you are feeling better about things. We all have "those" days. They are frustrating - but the important part is to push through them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have those moments. In fact, I'm with Leigh on this one. "Writer's Brain" will get you every time. The important thing is that you get past it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - I wouldn't say great. Probably just competent. Thanks for the support :o)

    Leigh - Do I call you Leigh? I love Writers Brain. Think I'm going to use that one in future :o)

    Carrie - Yeah, I think we do. Good job they're short lived :o)

    ReplyDelete